Netbook Games List
Please note! Although this page has been updated over the years, the basic information is considered rather old in Internet time. This was written with the 2nd generation of netbooks in mind.
This is the master list of all the games I have managed to get installed & running under my netbook, an Acer Aspire One 8.9" in onyx black, purchased December 2008.
This is not a definitive list or guarantee that any particular game will run under any particular machine. Many of the newer (3rd gen+) netbooks are capable of playing much more modern games than these, this list is for the 2nd generation netbooks, with an Intel GMA950 GPU and an Atom N270 or N280 CPU.
My netbook specs;
- Acer Aspire One (Model # AOA150-1049)
- 1.6GHz N270 Intel Atom Processor
- 1.5GB DDR2 533MHz
- 8.9" 1024 x 600 WSVGA glossy LED backlit display
- 160GB 2.5" 5400RPM Western Digital Hard Drive
- MS Windows 7
 upgraded from stock 1GB
 upgraded from Windows XP SP3
If you've got another game to add to the list, or a question about these games? Feel free to leave a comment below.
The working games
Some of these games are stated as "installed & working", this basically means I've installed the game and it's running fine so far, but either I haven't had enough time playing it, or I haven't had enough time to do a proper write-up on it yet. The notations indicate whether the game was tested on Windows XP, Windows 7, or both.
- 1503 A.D. [XP]
- Age of Mythology - installed & working [XP]
- Arx Fatalis [XP,7]
- Beyond Divinity [XP]
- Caesar 3 - installed & working 
- Command & Conquer Generals, and the zero hour expansion [XP]
- Diablo 2 - installed & working [XP]
- Fallout 1 - installed & working [XP]
- Fallout 2 [XP]
- Freelancer [XP]
- Jagged Alliance 2 [XP]
- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader 
- Max Payne - installed & working [XP]
- Max Payne 2 - installed & working [XP]
- Patrician 3 - installed & working [XP]
- Red Faction 
- Sid Meier's Pirates [XP]
- Sim City 4 Rush Hour [XP]
- Stronghold [XP]
- Tropico Paradise Island [XP]
- Tropico 2 - installed & working [XP]
The non-working games
- Torchlight - awesome game, however it's totally unplayable on a 1st or 2nd gen netbook (I imagine even the ION netbooks would struggle due to the crappy Atom CPU), despite the vaunted "netbook mode".
- Port Royale 2 - installed fine, played one game fine, now freezes at main menu.
- Far Cry - installed fine, cutscenes OK, games plays OK when not outdoors, outdoors/jungle drops to single digit frame rates, GMA booster running at 400Mhz shows little improvement.
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines , game installs fine, but the Intel GMA video card is too weak and the game crashes on start.
- Children of the Nile: Alexandria - installs fine, game always crashes after opening cutscene.
Looking for the old Netbook Gaming spreadsheet from Google Docs?
This is what I have: Netbook_Gaming.xls. It looks like the wiki page mentioned in the docs never came to fruition.